Saturday, February 5, 2011

Movies


On my third night here, we decided to go see a movie in English. There are definitely slim pickings for such a specific order, so we were stuck going to a movie about the Jihad in England at a theater in the center of Moscow. I didn’t care for the subject matter of the movie but I was so excited to go to the center of Moscow that I would have gone to see a movie about grass growing.
We took the metro, which could be one of the most efficient systems I’ve ever seen. Also the metro stations are beautiful. For those who don’t know, the metros have stained glass windows, chandeliers, marble floors and some of the most interesting people I’ve ever seen. There are people from all walks of life in the metro, from women in heels and fur coats (I wanted to be like them haha) to people in work out gear and parkas. I would have been content to stay on the metro and just people watch.
We reached our stop and began to walk. Unfortunately, our group (3 Americans and 3 Russians) were not entirely sure how to get to the theater. After about 30 minutes of walking and questioning a police officer, we found the theater. The movie was a dud. It was funny but at the same time it was attempting to be poignant, I don’t know- not my cup of tea. But it was an experience we all shared together, so it was a good one.
After the movie, we rode back to our part of town (it’s slightly north of Moscow- maybe 5 stops outside the center of town). We stopped and got schwarma (sharma, shooma, schwurma, I don’t remember exactly what it’s called haha). It’s basically a wrap with some kind of meat and tons of vegetables and I think maybe hummus inside, it’s not bad. We sat around for about 2 hours talking about how strange the movie was and making plans for this weekend. We know we want to go to the zoo eventually, but we’re not sure when that’ll happen. I’ll keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment